This healthy whole wheat pizza crust is crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and packed with whole grains and flaxseeds.
It is also a favorite of my picky kids and husband! There’s not much better as a mom than healthy food that the kids love and request. I hope your family loves this one as much as mine does!
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1½ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix together honey, warm water and yeast. Let sit and bubble for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. I use the dough hook on my KitchenAid, you could also use the dough setting on your bread machine or just do it by hand. No extra kneading required, just mix it well.
- Microwave a cup or so of water in a glass measuring cup for 1 minute. This just creates a nice humid and warm environment for the dough to rise.
- Cover the dough and put it in the microwave to rise to double (45min to an hour.) Warning: Don’t start the microwave! 45 minutes of microwave cooking would definitely ruin your dough. 🙂
- Divide the dough in half and allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes before rolling. While it is resting, preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Roll the dough into a circle. The size of your circle determines the thickness of your crust. I like a thinner crust, so mine are usually close to 18 in diameter. I roll mine out on a thin layer of corn meal to keep it from sticking. I also spray and lightly corn meal my metal pizza pan, but that wouldn’t be necessary if you are using a pizza stone.
- Now, just add your desired sauce and toppings and bake on a metal pizza pan or preheated pizza stone for around 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the bottom is golden and crispy.
97 calories, 2g fat, 3.2g fiber, 3.4g protein
* Actual nutrition info will vary based on exact ingredients used and does not include sauce or toppings. Find this recipe on MyFitnessPal as FG8 Whole Wheat Pizza Crust.