I’ve come to terms with the fact that I can’t go a day without chocolate. I remember learning about a hierarchy of needs in college and I’m pretty sure dark chocolate would go in the basic needs category for me. You know, right there with breathing, food, water, and shelter.
It’s all good though, because I’m working on ways to sneak it into all kinds of healthy foods. Healthy chocolate for breakfast?
Yes please! Like I said, it’s a need.
These Healthy Whole Wheat Chocolate Swirl Banana Muffins are the perfect chocolaty breakfast! They also freeze great for breakfasts in a hurry, or school lunches. Enjoy!
- 2¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 ground flaxseed egg substitute*
- ⅓ cup unrefined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup boiling water
- * Don’t forget to double the egg substitute recipe (i.e. 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed+6 tablespoon water). Or, if you don’t have any flaxseed you can just use 2 eggs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 muffin tins or add muffin cups.
- Mix your egg substitute and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mashed bananas, yogurt, honey, egg substitute, oil, and vanilla.
- Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until blended. Do not over-mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder and hot water until dissolved. Add 1 cup of prepared batter to the cocoa mixture and stir until combined.
- Spoon a small layer of regular batter into each muffin cup. Add a smaller scoop of chocolate batter to each. Alternate layers of regular batter and chocolate batter until the cups are evenly filled. I filled 16 cups about ⅔ full.
- Hold a toothpick straight up and down and gently pull it through the batter in a curving pattern.
- Bake until slightly brown on top and a toothpick, poked into the center, comes out clean (18-22 minutes).
- Enjoy! Keep leftovers refrigerated, or freeze and microwave on busy mornings.
146 calories, 3.3g fiber, 3.3g protein
*Actual nutrition info may vary based on exact ingredients used. Find this recipe on MyFitnessPal as FG8 Chocolate Swirl Banana Muffins.