A few months ago I shared my recipe for Oven Roasted Chickpeas, but then completely forgot to share this sweet and salty version! I love the savory spiced version, but the combination of salty and sweet is one of my absolute favorites and these Sweet & Salty Roasted Chickpeas are the perfect way to sneak that sweetness into a healthy, high-protein snack!
These also make a fantastic after school snack for kids. My kids devour these little suckers and I pretty much love it when I can find healthy snacks like this that they request. Who knew chickpeas could be so yummy?!
Anyway, now onto the recipe. The process is exactly the same as the savory version, so I often double the recipe and do some of each, or even three or four flavor variations using different spices. Yum!
- 2 cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- *You can also add a little cinnamon.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas under cold water. Dump them in a single layer onto a paper towel and allow to dry completely.
- Remove any lose skins. You don't have to remove them all, but without the lose skins they will end up crunchier.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil for easy cleanup. Move the plain chickpeas to the foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Put in the cold oven and begin preheating to 425 degrees F.
- Once the oven is preheated (or after 15 minutes), take the chickpeas out, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with salt. Make sure all of the chickpeas are evenly coated and then return the pan to the oven.
- Cook for another 20-30 minutes at 425 degrees F, stirring once halfway through.
- Turn off the oven, open the oven door slightly, and leave the pan of chickpeas in the oven while it cools. This is another optional step that helps give the crunchiest result.
- Once they have cooled completely, remove from the oven and enjoy! They will stay crunchy in a ziplock bag for a few days...if they last that long. 🙂
112 calories, 1.8g fat, 5.2g fiber, 5.2g protein
*Actual nutrition info may vary based on exact ingredients used. Find this recipe in MyFitnessPal as FG8 Sweet & Salty Roasted Chickpeas.