Last week I shared my recipe for Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips. They are a fantastic healthy way to satisfy a crunchy/salty craving. One of my favorite ways to use that same technique is on these homemade tortilla strips. They are perfect for adding that salty crunch to salads and soups and they take just a few minutes to throw together. Even just talking about it gets me craving a cool crisp salad with the crunch of these strips on top. YUM!
- 3 homemade corn tortillas*
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- coarse sea salt
- *Just like with the tortilla chips, you can use corn or whole wheat tortillas and use the same cooking method.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly brush or spray the tortillas with olive oil. You probably won't use the full amount, just make sure each tortilla has a thin coating.
- Stack the tortillas in a pile and use a pizza cutter to slice them into about ¼ inch strips.
- Arrange the strips on the baking sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with desired amount of sea salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Check the strips at 8 minutes and rotate the pans if needed to avoid burning in hot spots. The strips are done when the edges are crisp and dry. They will still be slightly flexible in the middle, but will continue to crisp as they cool.
- Remove the trays from the oven and let cool on the tray for a few minutes. As they cool, the strips will become crisp all the way through. Test one after they are mostly cooled and if it isn't a crisp as you would like, return the tray to the oven for 2-3 more minutes.
- Once they are mostly cooled, remove them from the tray and enjoy. Store any leftovers in an airtight plastic bag or container.
32 calories, 0.9g fat, 5.5g carbs, 0.8g fiber, 0.5g protein
*Nutrition info may vary based on exact ingredients used. Find this recipe on MyFitnessPal as FG8 Baked Tortilla Strips.