Homemade tortillas are one of those things that I always thought were way too hard and far too Martha Stewart-ish…until I tried them! I’m definitely no Martha Stewart, but I haven’t bought tortillas from the store since the first time I tried homemade. Fresh homemade corn tortillas are just too delicious to skip and they really only take a few extra minutes to make. Seriously, if you’ve never had homemade corn tortillas fresh of the griddle, you haven’t lived. They are AH-MAZING.
Plus, making your own means you get to skip all the artificial ingredients, preservatives, and even hydrogenated oils you sometimes find in store bought brands. Two ingredients. For real.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! Life changing, right?! 😉
Quick Note: Masa Harina is corn flour. You can find it in just about any grocery store in the international food isle.
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 - 1¼ cups warm water (varies depending on humidity)
- 2 pieces of parchment paper
- Combine the masa harina and water. Mix well until the water is absorbed evenly and the dough forms a ball. You are looking for a soft dough consistency; if it sticks to your hand, add more masa harina, if it is dry or crumbly add a little more water. Cover with a moist town to prevent the dough from drying out.
- Preheat a griddle or skillet on medium heat.
- Place a ball of dough about 1½ inches in diameter between the pieces of parchment and then press using a tortilla press or a heavy dish to form a 6 inch round tortilla.
- Open the press or remove the heavy dish. If the tortilla has an uneven edge, then the dough is too dry and you need to add a little water.
- Carefully remove the parchment paper from both sides and place the tortilla on the preheated skillet. Cook for 45 seconds, flip and continue to cook for 1 minute or until golden brown spots form.
- Flip one more time and cook for another 15 seconds, the tortilla should begin to puff. The cooking time is about 2 minutes total.
- Repeat with all dough. Wrap cooked tortillas in a napkin or clean towel and serve fresh. Enjoy!
Sign up to receive a healthy recipe every Monday! CLICK HERE