This Easy Homemade Microwave Popcorn makes the perfect healthy snack that is so much better for you than the store-bought kind!
Did you guys know that you can make homemade microwave popcorn?! It’s so much better for you, better tasting, and cheaper than store-bought microwave popcorn!
I even did the math – If you buy your materials and ingredients in bulk you can make 4 cups of popcorn for $0.37! 37 cents!! The only things you need are brown paper bags and popcorn kernels. You can find awesome prices for them on Amazon right here…
Brown Paper Bags – As low as $0.02 cents per bag!
Popcorn Kernels – As low as $0.35 per 1/4 cup serving!
Then just follow this simple “recipe” if you can really call it that. 🙂
- Put ¼ cup popcorn kernels in the brown paper lunch sack.
- Fold down the top of the sack a few times. Do not staple or even tape the bag. I promise, folding it over is all you need to do.
- Put the bag in the microwave. I just stand mine up, but most of the time it ends up falling over, so I’m sure it would be fine if you are short on space and just set it on it’s side.
- Start the microwave on high and listen carefully. Mine usually takes around 2-3 minutes, but every microwave is different. Just listen and stop it when there is 2 or 3 seconds between each pop. Don’t let it go too long, or it will burn.
- Enjoy! You can add a little melted butter and salt or even a little spice. Over the next few weeks I’ll also share some of our favorite toppings. The natural, real-food possibilities are endless!
Or, if you’d rather skip the microwave, you can get an air popcorn popper for around $20. I own and LOVE this Presto PopLite Hot Air Popper. I’ve had it for years and it is still going strong. I love having it around as an option too because my older kids can pop popcorn without any help.
Looking for more healthy real food recipes?