You won’t believe how easy it is to make this delicious one pot pasta recipe! Just throw all of the ingredients into a pot, including uncooked pasta, and less than 20 minutes later you have a healthy dinner on the table!
You guys! I just discovered the greatest easy dinner idea ever! Did you know you can make an entire pasta dish, including cooking the pasta and the sauce…in ONE DISH?! I feel like this is a magic secret that someone has been keeping from me for way too long.
You don’t have to boil the pasta, or make a fancy sauce! Just throw all of the ingredients together in a big pot and cook! The pasta ends up a perfect al dente and because you don’t drain the starch from the pasta, the liquid thickens into a yummy and flavorful sauce. And, you can add or get rid of any of the ingredients you want!
You seriously have to give this recipe a try! I was skeptical, but the result was absolutely delicious and my whole crew devoured it.
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 can (14 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, diced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 bunch of fresh basil (10-12 leaves), chopped
- 4½ cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- fresh parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to a large pot, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a low simmer, keep covered, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. You'll want to keep cooking until the pasta is your desired texture and most of the liquid is absorbed. I left about 1 inch of liquid in the bottom.
- Stir to distribute the liquid and season with salt and pepper if desired. Garnish with fresh parmesan and fresh basil.
1. Stainless Steel Cookware: I got my set of stainless steel pots and pans 6 years ago and they are still my favorites! They look beautiful, even after countless washes in the dishwasher, and they cook and hold heat so much better than any others I’ve tried.
2. Garlic Press: I love garlic, but am not a fan of chopping it, so my garlic press gets used constantly! I have one just like this Alpha Grillers brand that lets you put the garlic in without even peeling it! It’s a must-have in my kitchen.
3. Microplane Zester/Grater: This is another must-have in my kitchen. I use it to grate hard cheese, like the fresh parmesan in this recipe, and to zest lemons and limes. Perfect for adding flavor with very few extra calories.