Last week on Instagram I shared a picture of these delicious waffles and promised you the recipe. My kids have requested them twice since then, i.e. they are absolutely a hit in my house!
This recipe was literally a product of necessity. We’ve had such a fun and busy summer that I woke up one morning and realized we had no milk, eggs, or butter in the house. And, of course, my breakfast freezer stock was gone. There was no way I was loading all 4 kids in the car to run to the grocery store, so I got to work on a waffle recipe using only ingredients I did have.
I’m so glad I’m a terrible grocery shopper because these waffles are our new favorites! I hope you love them too!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds + 3 tablespoons water (mix and let sit for 10 minutes)
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond milk, chia gel mixture, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Add milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Scoop batter into waffle iron according to directions and cook until waffles are done.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in a 175 degree oven until ready to serve.
- These waffles freeze very well. Reheat from frozen in the toaster.
136 calories, 4.5g fat, 2.5g fiber, 3g protein
*Actual nutrition info may vary based on exact ingredients used. Find this recipe on MyFitnessPal as FG8 Whole Grain Vegan Waffles.