Healthy Chocolate Banana Bran Muffins – You’d never guess these moist, chocolatey, delicious muffins are full of healthy ingredients. Only 120 calories, 3 grams of protein, and 4 grams of fiber each!
The New Year is here and most likely you’re working on some healthy goals. I’m here, a few weeks in, to remind you that one important key is to work on a healthy lifestyle that will last. In other words, if it’s not something you can sustain longterm, it’s just not going to stick. One of the best decisions I ever made was to ditch the idea that healthy food has to take hours, and be tasteless and/or disgusting. Healthy food really can be delicious and easy!
These moist, delicious chocolate banana bran muffins are made with healthy whole grains and no refined sugar or oil, but the healthy is hidden behind sweet banana and chocolatey goodness. And, with only 120 calories, 3 grams of protein, and 4 grams of fiber they make the perfect healthy breakfast on the go! The protein and fiber will help keep you feeling full and satisfied for hours.
These are perfect to make in big batches to keep in the fridge or freezer for quick and easy breakfasts or to throw in lunches for work or school. Don’t tell anyone there is bran in there, the whole family will love them and the healthy part can be your secret. 🙂
- 1¼ cup bran cereal
- ½ cup milk
- 3 overripe bananas
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Silicone Cupcake Liners: These things are the greatest invention ever! They never stick, I throw them in the dishwasher and then back in the cabinet, and I never go to make muffins and find I don’t have any liners! You can get a set of 24 on Amazon for less than $10. Awesome.
- Dark Chocolate Chips: Truly dark chocolate chips (70% cocoa or more) are kinda tricky to find. We love these Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips. You can get them on Amazon for a good price when you buy a bunch. And, who doesn’t love having plenty of chocolate chips in the house? 🙂
- Plenty of Muffin Pans: This one may seem silly, but these pans are totally affordable and every kitchen should have at least three. Muffins are a fantastic breakfast food to make in bulk and freeze to pull out for busy mornings! You can grab extras on Amazon for $10 or less.
Looking for more simple healthy recipes?
Sign up to receive a healthy recipe every Monday! CLICK HERE