Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie – All the delicious flavors of a chocolate covered strawberry in a dessert that’s healthy enough to be breakfast! Clean eating, refined sugar free and made with only 4 healthy real food ingredients!
Oh-ma-goodness! This may just be one of my favorite treat recipes ever. If you love chocolate covered strawberries you MUST give this recipe a try! It has all the chocolate and strawberry flavor – but it takes 5 minutes to throw together! Seriously, who has the time to dip a bunch of strawberries every time you want a treat?
Did I mention this recipe only has FOUR ingredients! It doesn’t get much more simple than that!
And, as an added bonus, this sweet smoothie is refined sugar free! The only thing I used to sweeten mine was a frozen banana. So, you’re getting healthy fruit servings in there. Add the protein you get from the milk and I call that breakfast!
Every once in a while we all deserve to have our breakfast with mini chocolate chips on top. Don’t you think?
YUM! And it tasted as good as it looks, I promise.
Before I send you off to the recipe, let me share just a few tips…
- You don’t have to use frozen banana if you don’t have it. A ripe banana will work just fine. But, adding frozen bananas to smoothies definitely helps with the creamy texture. I buy a big bunch, chop them into 1/2 inch slices and then lay them on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper to freeze. Once frozen I dump them into a ziploc freezer bag. That way I have individual pieces and it is super easy to scoop out what I need when I make a smoothie.
- If your fruit isn’t as sweet, feel free to add a tablespoon of honey for added sweetness.
- Any milk will work in this recipe. So, feel free to use skim milk for a lower calorie treat, or almond milk for a dairy free breakfast or dessert.
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 large ripe banana, frozen
- fresh strawberries and dark chocolate chips for garnish, optional
- Put all of the ingredients (except the garnish) in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into two glasses, add garnish if you want, and serve immediately.
1. Blendtec Blender: I love, love, love my Blendtec! Getting a powerful blender is definitely an investment, but I use mine at least once a day and I love knowing that the 7 year warranty is there. I actually burned the motor out on my first one and they replaced it no questions asked. I use mine for the usual smoothies and batters, but I also love it for grinding wheat into flour and of course making homemade ice cream and frozen yogurt! You can get one new at Costco or on Amazon for around $350, or you can get one refurbished with the original warranty for $280 from Blendtec right HERE.
2. Frozen Berries: Buying frozen berries is a great way to get delicious, healthy berries even when they aren’t in season. I get big bags at Costco and use them in oatmeal, greek yogurt, as a yummy treat right out of the bag, or in frozen treats like this all the time.
3. Raw Honey: Honey is one of my favorite natural sweeteners. You do have to choose honey carefully though, apparently there are lots of brands that are actually diluted with high fructose corn syrup!? We started buying local raw honey when my oldest was little to help with his season allergies. If you’ve never tried it raw, you should definitely give it a try. You can even get it on Amazon now!
* Some links are affiliates. The products cost the same to you, but I get a small commission. I never recommend anything I don’t honestly believe in.
Looking for more healthy dessert recipes?